Taking Care of Termites in Newcastle and Muswellbrook
Termites (also referred to as ‘white ants’) are the most damage causing pest to your home or business and one that your insurance will not cover.
Areas, such as Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Maitland and the Hunter Valley face a greater risk due to a warmer climate along with a great concentration of housing and commercial buildings.
For most of us our biggest financial investment we will make in our lives is our home or business, so there is no doubt that you would only want the best to take care of all your termite control needs.
Rebel Pest Professionals are the experts in termite control. Our termite experts are fully trained, qualified and certified, residing in the areas we service, with extensive experience in both inspections and termite treatments.
Have you seen these Signs or Found Termites
You don’t generally find termites out in the open. They prefer a more protected, dark, humid areas making it harder to find them – until it’s too late.
That’s why it so important for you to have an annual termite inspection. There is no substitute for a qualified and experienced termite expert performing a comprehensive termite inspection.
Termites leave signs of their presence and its often the damage they have caused that is seen first rather than the actual termites.
Here are a few common signs of termites that you might see (or hear) around your home or business:
- Hollow sounding timber – When termites consume timber, they eat from the inside out leaving a thin veneer of timber or paint. When you knock or tap an area that has termite damage, it will sound hollow due to the timber having been eaten away.
- Vacuum goes through the skirting board – or your hand pressure dents a door jam/architrave. As termites have eaten away the structural integrity of the timber, such as a skirting board, door jam, door or architrave, any pressure placed on them will easily cause damage. Termites also enjoy eating plasterboard walls too.
- Tight doors or hard to open windows – As termites devour timber, their excrement or ‘mud’ creates a protective environment that traps heat and moisture. This causes timber to swell, making it harder to open a window or close a door.
- Cracks in the cornice or door jams – As termites eat away the timber in your walls or door jams, it causes a loss in structural integrity and cracks can form. But don’t jump to conclusions as cracks can also be caused by movements in your home due to building defects.
- Termite mud – Termites construct mud leads (tunnels) to provide themselves with a safe travelling environment to their food source and back to their nest. These mud leads are often hard to see as they will be behind your gyprock and underground. It’s possible to see these mud leads in your home’s subfloor or roof void where is a visual access.
Have you seen these signs?
If we find termites, our experts will discuss with you the best treatment options for your situation. We would encourage you to take a day or so to decide what option will work for you and your finances.