Winter is fast approaching, and you’d be wrong to think that you won’t have any pest problems until spring. Your home will be a cosy place to live during the winter months and will provide pests with everything they need to survive. Taking a few extra steps can help keep them out.
We’ve put together a list of the pests to watch out for this winter and how to deter them.
You may think that termites are deterred by cold weather or that they are strictly warm weather pests. They feed non-stop 24 hours a day on anything which contains cellulose.
How to deter termites
- Avoid timber to ground contact. Any outdoor timber posts or decking should be supported with an appropriate concrete base.
- If timber to ground contact is unavoidable, treat the timber with the appropriate deterrents if possible
- Store timber & firewood away from the main structure.
- Fix any leaking pipes as termites are attracted to moist areas.
- Remove any standing water from the property which may be pooling on the roof or foundations.
- Keep downpipes free from blockages.
- Check your subfloor for humidity or moisture. This type of environment encourages termite activity. Invest in a vapour barrier and ensure the subfloor is thoroughly ventilated. Vents should be free from debris and not obstructed by shrubs.
- Use mulch sparingly. Mulch traps moisture in, again promoting a conducive environment for termites.
- Check your foundation for any cracks and crevices and caulk them.
Spiders, cockroaches and other insects make their way into your home and nest over the fall and winter months. Some insects will lay their eggs in your home, later emerging in spring.
How to deter overwintering pests
- Check the outside walls of your home and foundations for any cracked and caulk them.
- Check windows and door seals and ensure a tight fitting.
- Repair screens around doors, windows and vents.
- Give your home a thorough clean with a vacuum to remove any unwanted pests you may come across. Don’t forget to empty the vacuum once done.
The cooler months are the opportune time for rodents to find solace and warmth in your home. They are one of the most successful mammals on earth for adapting and colonizing.
How to deter rodents
- Store any open food sources like fruit in your refrigerator.
- Seal cracks and crevices around the home.
- Remove moisture and harbourage sources.
- Store firewood away from the home.
- Remove any debris piles.
- Any items stored in the attic, ensure they are stored in sealed plastic containers. Cardboard boxes are easily bitten into by rodents.
If you would like peace of mind for the winter months call Rebel Pest Professionals now on 49546867 or email us now to book in a treatment.