Bird Pest Control
Bird Pest Control
Bird Control and Bird Proofing
Newcastle and Hunter Valley
Birds, especially pigeons, seagulls, starlings, mynas and sparrows, can cause significant problems for homeowners and businesses.
- Damage – Their droppings are acidic and corrode a variety of surfaces
- Health Hazard – Birds carry a range of diseases and parasites
- Noise – bird can create significant noise pollution, especially in large flocks
Protecting solar panels from birds has become an increasing issue for homeowners and business.
Rebel Pest Professionals utilise a range of bird management techniques to protect your home and business from birds.
How we get rid of birds > Professional Bird Proofing
To determine a suitable bird management plan and bird proofing treatment for your property we go through a 6-step process:
- Identify the bird species present
- Determine the size of the nest / flock
- Determine how the birds are entering the building/areas of concern
- Remove / exclude birds from the building
- Prevent the birds returning
- Clear up any bird nest material / droppings
Bird management products
There are a range of bird management products on the market. We will choose the best combination of products for the bird species causing the problem and the design elements of the building.
There are three core products we use when bird proofing:
- Bird spikes of various sizes and materials are used to prevent birds nesting on ledges
- Bird netting is used to exclude birds from large areas, such as warehouses
- Sonic & ultrasonic bird deterrent systems are useful to repel birds from areas where physical products such as bird netting cannot be used
Solar Panel Bird Proofing
Birds roosting on roofs will often damage solar panels with their droppings – at the very least reducing their efficiency, but often damaging them permanently. Some birds will actually nest underneath solar panels, potentially damaging wiring and stopping them working altogether.
In addition to keeping birds off the roof, Rebel Pest Professional can bird proof your solar panels to prevent birds nesting underneath and clean the panels to ensure optimal efficiency.
Bird nest removal and bird dropping clean up
When dealing with nesting birds, it’s important that the nesting material is removed safely (wearing appropriate safety gear) to prevent any parasites entering the building and stop the spread of disease. Rebel Pest Professional will carry out this work once the bird proofing has been installed.
In some situations, there could be a significant build-up of bird droppings. Whereas Rebel Pest Professionals can clear up small amounts of droppings, for larger jobs it will be necessary to utilise an industrial cleaner.
We will always discuss any safety concerns you may have before carrying out a treatment. For bird management, we always ensure we use humane bird proofing techniques.
After solving your bird problem, it is important to remove any bird material and droppings as parasites can move from the nest into the building and dried out droppings and associated dust can represent a health risk.
What to expect from our bird proofing treatments?
Depending on the nature of the bird problem, the installation may be quick and the result instant or the installation could take several days, and it may take a while to exclude all the birds from the area and prevent their return. We will discuss any proposed bird management plan, so you know what to expect.
What Our Customers Say
What are the signs of nesting birds?
Whether you’re a homeowner worried about a single nest or a business owner worried about large flocks of birds causing problems, recognising the early signs of a potential bird problem can allow a far quicker and cheaper solution than waiting until it has developed into a major problem. For example, pigeons live in flocks of anywhere between 50 and 500, so a couple of birds can quickly become a flock increasing the issues and health concerns exponentially.
Look out for these signs below:
- Birds settling on roofs or ledges – The tell-tale sign of birds nesting are groups of them living on roofs or ledges.
- Bird noise – You will hear continuous bird cries, especially from young chicks.
- Bird nests – You may find nesting materials such as grasses and twigs strewn about your property.
- Damage – Damage to roofing materials from constant pecking.
- Droppings – You will notice droppings concentrated in areas where birds roost.Feathers and debris – Feathers and debris from nests can block guttering and drainage pipes.
Places to look for bird problems:
- Tall buildings with flat roofs are ideal for pigeons.
- Balconies, ledges, chimneys, and guttering are perfect spots for nesting.
- Seagulls flock together on flat roofs.
- A gap larger than 25mm will allow access to your building for pigeons.
- Pigeons prefer roof spaces in which to roost and are capable of moving loose/damaged tiles to gain access.
Don’t forget to look at surrounding buildings as well as your own, as it may indicate you could have a problem in the future.
How to prevent a bird problem
Birds are always looking for food or a place to nest or roost. Homeowners and business owners can certainly take steps to remove foods sources – especially access to grains and garbage. Homeowners and business owners can consider sealing up or protecting any gaps that could allow birds access to the roof void to nest, however, in most cases it will require a professional pest manager to carry out bird proofing to prevent birds having access to roosting and nesting spots.